Change is in the air as summer’s energy abundance of heat and light is waning and cooling. Autumn is also the time of reaping what we have sown in the spring and summer. Are you ready to harvest your holistic health?
Almost all cultures around the world structured important ceremonies for their tribes and communities around the meaning of the harvest, of the need to express gratitude for the blessings of its sustenance as well as a reward for the hard work of the prior growing season.
Gratitude is a key factor in living authentically, and has recently been the focus of many health and well-being studies. Scientists at the University of California- Berkeley in collaboration with UC/Davis have found that people who practice gratitude consistently report a host of benefits.
These benefits include:
- Stronger immune systems and lower blood pressure
- Higher levels of positive emotions
- More joy, optimism and happiness
- Acting with more generosity and compassion
- Feeling less lonely and isolated
Here are some simple ways you can harvest gratitude into your autumn well-being.
- Begin each day with a quick meditation or prayer by giving thanks for the good fortune to of a new day.
- Keep a gratitude journal, and write down all the things in your life you are grateful for, big and small.
- Take turns around the dinner table giving each family member an opportunity to express something for which they are grateful that day.
Autumn is a great time to experiment with the healing power of roots, such as in aromatherapy, beauty recipes, and some great autumn food recipes. Check out some additional healthy food recipes at www.pinterest.com/jegoswam.
The roots are where a plant concentrates its vitality, and because they feed off nutrition from the soil in which they grow, roots contain copious amounts of minerals, beta carotene, and anti-oxidants. Pumpkin is not the only fall item to enjoy!
Also known as the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit Root, Archangel Root and Oil of Angels) is an essential oil that comes from a large, aromatic plant related to parsley and carrots. It has a rich, peppery-sweet, musk-like aroma, reminiscent of an ancient forest. Angelica’s pleasant yet strange aroma enhances introspection.
It is very effective for restoring a sense of grounding, centering, and stabilization in times of anxiety, fear, and depression. Drop onto a tissue and inhale, or use an aromatherapy room diffuser. A drop or two on the soles of the feet before bedtime can be a wonderful sleep aid and call in beautiful dreams.
Carrot Anti-Aging Mask and Blemish Treatment
This delivers massive amounts of beta carotene which is converted to Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A stimulates the production of collagen, encouraging skin cells to behave more like youthful skin cells, diminishing fine lines and wrinkles. Carrots also tone and clarify the skin, since they are naturally antiseptic, as is coconut oil. This makes both of them a reliable treatment for blemishes and breakouts.
Take four medium-sized carrots which have been peeled. Steam or boil, mash two of the carrots and mix with 3 – 4 teaspoons of organic, virgin coconut oil to form a paste.
- Spread the paste on clean face and let it set for up to 15 minutes
- Juice the other two carrots and whisk the juice with the coconut oil
- Spot dab blemishes with a cotton ball dipped in the carrot mixture
- Store mixture in a glass jar in the fridge for up to three days
- Use twice a day for best results
Keep The Doctor Away Smoothie
This smoothie features the stars at this time of year: apples, pears, and carrots to provide a delicious and nutritious autumn pick-me-up. Apple skin contains quercetin, an anti-oxidant compound which prevents oxygen molecules from damaging individual cells. Asian pears are high in Vitamin C and potassium.
In a high speed blender combine:
- 1 green apple, cored but with the skin on
- 1 Asian pear, cored with the peel on
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled
- ½ cup of unfiltered organic apple juice
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add water and/or ice to reach desired consistency and temperature. Enjoy immediately.
Which autumn practice will you begin today? Share with me in the comments!
Thank you to the fabulous Randi Ragan, a holistic well-being expert and soon-to-be author! She is the the founder and owner of the award-winning GreenBliss EcoSpa. Connect with her at www.randiragan.com